Sunday, April 17, 2011

Popcorn Nostalgia

My dear aunt is a fabulous cook. I always look forward to visits and family get-togethers at her house in Kingfisher because I know the food will not disappoint.

Of all the fabulous meals and desserts my aunt has made over the years, the food that sticks out most in my mind is her popcorn. This popcorn is such a novelty because who even makes homemade popcorn anymore? Microwave popcorn is easy, but trust me when I tell you it cannot hold a candle to my aunt's popcorn. Homemade popcorn just tastes great and it isn't all that hard to make, either. It is light and fresh without the processed taste of microwave popcorn and its faux butter flavoring.

My husband loves my aunt's homemade popcorn, and he decided we needed to start making it in our own home. A few years ago, my aunt gave me one of her extra popcorn pans to make homemade popcorn and I am ashamed to say that until recently, I had never used it!

Simple ingredients - kernels, canola oil and salt
Add oil (1 Tbsp) and kernels (1/3 C) to pan over medium-high heat
Add lid and wait for oil to get hot
When you hear the first kernels popping, quickly close the lid
Shake the pan over the burner and turn the crank on the lid at the same time. Listen to the popcorn pop, pop, popping!


The finished product! Add salt or your favorite topping and enjoy!!

No comments: