Saturday, April 23, 2011

Let Your Freak Flag Fly

We are big fans of our local NBA team, the Oklahoma City Thunder. We bought half-season tickets this season and have upgraded to full-season tickets for the 2011-2012 season.
Pre-game festivities outside the arena before Game 1 of the NBA playoffs

Lucky for us, the Thunder made the playoffs this year and we have tickets to all the home playoff games. The atmosphere at these games has been electric and the fans have been absolutely dedicated to making our arena the loudest in the country.

But I digress.

The real purpose of this post is to share a cautionary tale.

At a recent home game, Thunder car flags were given away to all in attendance. Tonight, my husband insisted on putting up one of the car flags on the passenger side of the car to show our support for the team. As I drove down May Avenue, my husband apparently forgot all about the car flag and proceeded to put his window down.

Can you tell where this is going?

As the flag went flying, there was immediate cursing from my husband's side of the car, and I knew exactly what had happened. "Oh, no!" I said. "What should I do? Should I turn around?"

"Quick, quick, turn around!" my husband said. I hurriedly made a U-turn and drove back down the street to see our car flag lying dejectedly in two pieces in the middle of May Avenue. I pulled into the nearest empty lot and my husband jumped out of the car, barely checking to make sure the coast was clear as he rescued the car flag from a certain death sentence.

He ran back to the car with the car flag and we looked at each other only to burst into laughter, high on an adrenaline rush and struck by the absurdity of the situation as well as our reaction to it. It was hilarious thinking about any of the passing motorists that could have seen the car flag go flying and/or our subsequent rescue mission.

Luckily this cautionary tale, has a happy ending. I am happy to report, the car flag seems to be recovering nicely, after a little TLC from my husband. We'll try to take better care of it in the future.

The car flag during happier times - prior to the first playoff game.

P.S. ThunderUP!!

No comments: