Thursday, July 7, 2011

Road Trip Recap: What we ate

My trip to Chicago included the obligatory foods Chicago is famous for: deep dish pizza and hot dogs!

We were all excited to try deep dish pizza. The crust is thick and the cheese and toppings are on the bottom while the red sauce is on top. The result is very cheesy and delicious!














We decided our deep dish pizza research was not complete without a trip to Geno's East. Lucky for us, there was a Geno's East just next door to our digs at the Hotel Affinia.
Picture courtesy of my friend! Thanks, K!















Geno's East pizza was slightly different thanks to their unique "golden crust" that is reminiscent of cornbread but not as dry and crumbly as cornbread. I preferred the red sauce used by Geno's East, but I liked the crust of the first deep dish pizza we sampled better.




















Portillo's Hot Dogs was another stop on our eating tour of Chicago. I ordered the chili cheese dog and the hot dog "with everything" that included mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, pickle, and peppers. Both were yummy and the poppy seed hot dog buns were a fun change.


















Another important stop was at Sprinkles Cupcakes. We are not lucky enough to have one of these in OKC, and as a cupcake connoisseur, I had to try it out! It was the perfect snack. I heart cupcakes.













Mmmmmm. Lemon blueberry. I only wish I had bought a dozen few extra to bring back to OKC!

These were the big highlights. I did eat a little salad, a few vegetables, and there was definitely more than one trip to Starbucks.

No comments: